Job: Head of Product Development (Malaysia)
- Head of Product Development (Malaysia)
- Commiserate upon experience
Drives the development of products to meet or exceed the target margin requirements, achieve design intent and maintain quality standards.
Price negotiations, product and service contracts, qualification and authorization of new vendors.
Quality management systems and regulatory compliance of products.
Strategize and implement product training systems and programs.
Merchant Program / Vendor Partner Program – devise mechanics and execute global implementation.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
1.Drives the development of products to meet or exceed the target margin requirements, achieve design intent and maintain quality standards.
- Devise product criteria in line with product strategy on Lifestyle Wellness concept and company philosophy.
- Develops and implements best practice processes and procedures for the team and department.
- Strategizes the execution of the team’s activities by ensuring consistency of process, quality of information, and timely execution in adherence with the product development timeline.
- Aligns and communicates globally on the execution of product development, costing and implementation of product strategies to drive decision making.
- Strategizes with product development team in setting priorities, driving developments, develop and support product innovation.
- Manage and oversee all product development projects, and monitor progress throughout the product development life cycle, identifying risks and opportunities. Provides training and assistance to aid Product Managers in accomplishing their objectives.
- Responsible for prioritizing all projects while considering the overall needs of the organization and ensuring optimum utilization of available resources for timely development and introduction.
- Lead, teach, mentor and motivate team to drive results. Ability to build teams establishing strong benchmarks that can be leveraged across departments.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and partnership to establish credibility within the team as well as across the company. Creates an environment that encourages open communication.
- Assist CMO – Collect customer and competitive intelligence and analyze market trends and identify business opportunities that maximize revenue and profit potential for assigned products and lines.
2.Handle price negotiations, product and service contracts, qualification and authorization of new vendors
- Ensure compliance and effective implementation of purchasing policy / guidelines and custom import duties requirement and continuously seek new process or classification in order to save procurement and freight cost.
- Drive costing activities, processes and mechanics, resulting in price competitiveness in subcontract of packaging and / or subassembly.
- Ensure all procurement are in accordance with international standards (ISO/INCOTERMs/etc ) and in line with regulatory and / or statutory requirements, and SOP are properly implemented and adhered.
- Ensure goods purchased are of acceptable quality and in accordance to specifications, liaising with vendors on spec requirements, process control, quality tests and quality activities to ensure consistent quality.
- Negotiate cost of goods and services, close liaison with Finance to verify vendors are paid promptly after services are obtained.
- Vendor management and continuous cost down management. Ensure timely issuance of POs and ensure adequate supply is available at the lowest cost, MOQ and shortest lead time without compromising quality.
3. Quality Management Systems and Regulatory compliance of Products
- Quality Management Systems:
- Devise quality activities and systems to ensure product quality and execute action plan in rectifying system or product quality issues.
- Quality activities on incoming, packing, outgoing and customers’ complaints.
- Periodic calibration of laboratory instruments and ensure accuracy.
- Periodic test on products with shelf life, ensure stability within shelf life.
- Proofread all artwork of product leaflet and marketing collaterals.
- Ensure 3PL and Client’s warehouses globally storage conditions are in line with product storage requirement.
- Vendor Qualification – assessment, evaluation, and audit.
- Product Qualification
- Evaluate, test and qualify new products in terms of quality, stability, efficacy, durability and reliability (safety and hygiene criteria).
- Ensure all product claims are substantiated and test certificate authenticated.
- Conduct sensory evaluation and product evaluation for new product and existing product when there is a change of formula/ ingredients and warehouse stock ½ yearly.
- Vendor Management Performance – from incoming and customers’ complaints.
- Execution of Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) for quality improvement.
- Ensure all necessary COA are in conformance prior receipt of products.
- Monitor and evaluate product failure / defective rate and ensure disposition per vendor contract.
- Devise defect criteria in mutual agreement with vendor.
- SOPs / Checklist and training on defective criteria & Quality Agreement.
- Devise defect criteria in mutual agreement with vendor, prior each new product receipt into warehouse for incoming quality control and assurance inspection.
- Ensure all agreed specifications, storage controls, shelf life and other quality related issues are spelled out comprehensively in Product Quality Agreement.
- Ensure QC inspectors are trained on quality criteria for each product.
- Maintain the records of SOP and ensure the records are updated in timely manner.
- Regulatory Compliance
- Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality, development, and efficiency of all regulatory, statutory and licensing aspects of Product registration.
- Ensure description fits HS tariff codes with lower duty / tax. Ensure bar codes requirements.
- Ensure all aspects of license and functions are in compliance with relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Liaison with relevant Ministries, Chambers of Commerce, Pharmaceutical Bureau on Product registration.
- Updated central repository of all product related documentations for registration and licensing.
4. Strategize and implement Product Training Systems and Programs
- Devise training systems and implementation plans.
- Standardization presentation slides and presentation flow.
- Conduct Product Trainers Summit 3 times a year on product knowledge.
- Introduce selected effective training skills sessions by external trainers to build confidence.
- Improve training systems to effect sales growth.
- Qualify trainers on at least 5 products globally.
- Continuously improve training systems to effect sales growth.
- Ensure main markets have qualified trainers.
- Manage and review training department under the client globally.
- Periodic assessment and evaluating productivity of trainers.
- Manage the implementation of global trainings & special product campaigns globally.
- Devise strategies to incentivize the efforts of trainers aimed at increasing product sales.
- Trainers development plan based on feedback collected during trainings by new Client’s internal survey.
- Upgrade and personalizing the webinar system to reach out to more IRs globally.
5. Merchant Program devise mechanics and execute implementation plan:
- Coordinate on quality control, product managers, logistics and country head.
- Implement globally especially in countries with representative offices of our client.
- Implementation roadmap and execution.
- 4 yeas college / Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Nutrition, Chemistry, Pharmacology or other related discipline.
- PC literate and familiar with MS Office. Knowledge of ERP will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of global quality standards and requirements (eg: ISO 9000, HACCP, GMP).
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills with a flair for writing.
- Must be a creative and strategic results-oriented leader with strong strategic thinking, planning and analytical skills. Must have integrity and be dedicated to the principles of developing a strong collaborative team-based organization. Superior financial and business acumen is essential and a highly credible management presence is necessary.
Other attributes include:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with a sense of urgency
- Possess the ability to connect with the merchandising organization and be able to convert opportunities into practical business strategies.
- A proven leader with self-confidence, and a solid track record of accomplishments in challenging environments.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an organization through growth or transitions without losing momentum or focus on key business drivers.
- Strong communicator who understands the importance of leadership through consensus, and who values and is good at partnering and relationship building.
- Good listening skills and ability to be effective in working with all levels of the organization.
- 10-15 years plus in retail product sourcing, development, quality, regulatory, merchandising and/or buying. Experience supporting a design and development and working with global manufacturers a plus.
- Ability to establish and maintain amicable business rapports with external parties (eg. Suppliers, Government Departments and Licensing Authorities etc)